Tuesday, September 30, 2014

30 September 2014

Regional conflicts in Middle East, Ebola crisis in Africa, unfavourable business data from Europe and China, all these negative factors weighed on the equity market in September. The latest development in Hong Kong doesn't help at all. STI dropped 50.35 points, or 1.51% in the month, to end at 3276.74 at the end of the month. My portfolio did worst, its value drop 2.02% in the month.

Will the market continue with the down trend in October? Or worst still, will the 2007 market melt down repeat itself since, as some Gurus claim, the 7 year cycle is due? Well, I don't have a crystal ball for that. I will just stick to my plan and seek out undervalue stocks to invest, while maintaining a "war chest" for any opportunity which may appear.

This month, I received quite a number of shares through scrip dividend scheme: First Reit, FraserComm, Mapletree Ind, MapletreeLog, Cambridge, AIMSAMPIReit, CapitaChinaR Tr,  and DBS. I also received OCBC shares through Right issue. I bought Saizen Reit from open market. I sold all my SMRT shares.

Total dividend received this month amounts to S$10,500.00. This number includes those I reinvested via Scrip Dividend Scheme. I injected S$12,000.00 into the portfolio this month.

Below are my top 30 holdings as at 30 September:

1.   SPH
2.   ComfortDelGro
3.   OCBC Bank
4.   DBS
5.   Ausnet Services
6.   Sembcorp Ind
7.   ST Engineering
8.   Starhub
9.   Frasers Comm Tr
10. SGX
11. Metro
12. CapitaLand
13. United Engineers
14. CitySpring Trust
15. AIMSAMP Cap Reit
16. CapitaComm Tr
17. Nikko AM STI ETF 100
18. Sembcorp Marine
19. Lippo Malls Tr
20. YZJ Shipbldg SGD
21. Keppel Corp
22. Mapletree Log Tr
23. Sing Inv & Fin
24. Ascendas Reit
25. SATS
26. Global Inv
27. SingTel
28. Sabana Reit
29. SIA
30. PanUnited

15 comments:

Jimmy L said...

inject $12k? thats alot
what is the % of it to your portfolio?

let me know so that i can gauge my buys. dont think i can pump in so much in 1 shot

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi Jimmy,

You mentioned in your blog that you bought 100 lots of Global Investment Ltd shares at 0.142. That is 14.2K, more than what I injected last month.

12K is less than a per cent of my portfolio value. My portfolio was built over many years.

The amount I inject into my portfolio is not fix. It depends on if I find some good opportunity to invest. Sometimes I don't buy anything for an entire month. This money comes from the dividend received, plus savings from my regular income.

Jimmy L said...

hi sanye
seems like you are a big investor with big portfolio worth :)

i misunderstood the strategy. initially i thought to buy 1 stock ea month but its risky. i shd buy multiple stocks slowly across months if necessary to spread out risk

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi Jimmy,

My portfolio looks big (to some) but it started humbly. It was patiently built up over years.

Keep accumulating. You will be there one day.

David said...

Hi Sanye,

I can only envy for now as compare to my portfolio....

Will you able to share your holdings in term of percentage and numbers of holdings?

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi David,

I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean percentage with respect to total portfolio of the top 30 holdings?

As to number of holdings, Total numbers of counters still trading is 75 as at today.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sanye

I saw that you are holding to SIA. What is your take on SIA since the price has headed south for past years, from over $15? Would your strategy consider buying in SIA now at $9+? Dividends wise, it seems the company trying to please the shareholders .

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

HI Anonymous,

Yes SIA is in my watch list. Just that my resource is limited and I have other priority.

I may add on to SIA in future.

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

I thought I should elaborate more on my opinion on SIA.

Basically I still like SIA and think that it is a well managed company, which will benefit from recovery of the aviation industry.

However the recovery may not come so soon. As the companies are becoming more cost conscious SIA will face tough competition from both the conventional and budget airlines. I think it's profit will continue to be depressed in the short to mid term. When I look at dividend there are other counters with better dividend than SIA.

So though I still like it, it is not on my top priority to add now.

Anonymous said...

Hi, you got 10,500 in dividends this month alone?

If you don't mind me asking, whats your portfolio size to be able o get 10,500 for one dividend payment period.

Thank You.

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi Anonymous,

I do not wish to disclose the size of my portfolio. However, it is not difficult to guess its size from some of the answers above.

My total dividend income is generated from my stock and unit trust portfolio. In this particular month, UT dividend contributed almost 46% of it.

The dividend income from shares are not consistent so I started invest in high yield UT.

TY Wong said...

Hi Sanye,

I also invest in high dividend share or REIT. I live in HK and started to invest in SGX REIT.

What is "high yield UT"?

any good site that show SGX stock quote and chart?

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Dear TY Wong,

"High yield UT" refers to unit trust that pays regular dividend.

TY Wong said...

Hi Sanye,

Are they trade in SGX stock market? Any symbol that you can refer?

Any web site that show SGX stock quote and chart.

Thanks

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi TY,

Unit trust are not traded in SGX stock market, except the ETF's (exchange traded fund). You can buy them through UT platforms like Fundsupermart or Poems.

There are several websites showing SGX stock quotes and charts. Just google it and you will find them. I am not a trade so I only use charts provided by Yahoo and Bloomberg.